It’s so good to see people now becoming aware of what and how they are living their life. Contributing to the environment has suddenly become the fashion and trend that everyone seems to follow. From going minimal on home decor items like fake fruits to actually filling it all with indoor and outdoor lush green plants, we have come a long way. Every action that we now take is determined by what impact it would have on the environment and such is the enigma around synthetic vs natural rugs.
Read on this blog to figure out why and what carpet you should opt for.
● What Are Jute Carpets And How They Are Made
Jute carpets are a type of floor covering that are made from jute fibers derived from the jute plant. Jute is a renewable plant fibre known for its sustainable qualities.
The jute plant is mainly cultivated and harvested in the regions of India and Bangladesh. Once harvested the fibres of this plant are softened by soaking them in water and separating the woody part. The fibres are then spun into threads or yarns that are used to craft the carpet.
Some of the features of a Natural Jute carpet are:
- They are biodegradable.
- They are less expensive.
- They create and give a rustic charm to any space.
- They are low maintenance and durable.
- They come in different shapes and sizes.
- They are non toxic and do not release any harmful chemicals.
- They help create a cozy and warm environment.
● What Are Synthetic Carpets And How They Are Made
Synthetic carpets are made from artificial fibres of man-made materials also called petro-chemicals like Nylon, polyester etc. The process involves high energy consumption and here are a few factors that you should know about synthetic carpets:
- They are not biodegradable.
- They are expensive.
- They are not environmentally friendly.
- They contribute to the environmental waste towards their disposal process.
- They tend to release harmful chemicals like VOC (Volatile organic compounds).
- They are made from an energy intensive process.
- They are sensitive to heat and may get damaged when exposed to higher temperatures.
● Difference Between Jute Carpets & Synthetic Carpets’
Before you buy any of these flooring materials, here are some of the differences between the two that you should know:
- Material: Jute carpets are made up of plant-based material called Jute. Synthetic carpets are made from man-made materials like nylon, polyester etc.
- Biodegradable: Jute carpets are biodegradable and do not contribute to environmental waste Whereas synthetic carpets are non-biodegradable and they do contribute to the landfill waste.
- Energy Consumption: Jute carpets do not require more energy or a complex manufacturing process. However synthetics carpets do consume more energy for their manufacturing.
- Durability: Synthetic carpets do last longer but with the environmental impact they have towards their disposal makes it less attractive, while Jute carpets decompose naturally with zero impact on the environment.
- Maintenance: Jute carpets are strong enough to bear the daily wear and tear but needs to be protected from water or moisture whereas synthetic rugs can be washed and are resistant to spill and stains.
Now that you have a fair idea and understanding of the impact that both synthetic and jute rugs or carpets have on the environment, you are well equipped to make your decision.
Therefore by choosing the jute rug or carpet you will make a sustainable home decor choice and do your part in keeping the environment safe and clean.
With that being said, check out the jute carpet collection at Zarf studios. These high quality artistically made jute carpets are available in different shapes and sizes making your home look beautiful while adding an earthy charm to it.